Bolivian Rice

photo source
During college, I spent one summer in the country of Bolivia. Within the first day of my trip, I contracted salmonella and ended up in the 'hospital' which was an outdoor structure where I stayed next to a woman giving birth, while I was pumped full of strange liquids. Because of my unfortunate stomach issues, I ate nothing but rice for an entire month. To me, nothing tastes better than this 'Bolivian Rice.' I still make this rice about six days out of the week. Follow the directions exactly, and it will become second nature in no time. Bolivian Rice 1 cup rice (I like Basmati white rice.) 1/2 large onion (white or yellow. doesn't matter.) 1/2 green bell pepper Extra virgin olive oil Lawry's Seasoning Salt 1. Coat the bottom of a medium sauce pan with olive oil (you can't have too much) and heat on medium for 2 minutes. 2. Stir in rice and sprinkle with Lawry's Seasoning Salt (this is my own addition, not native to Bolivia.) 3. Place onion and green pepper on top, and stir gently for 1 minute. 4. Add 1 1/2 cups of water (the water should double the space of the rice. If there is 1/2 inch of rice, the water should come 1/2 inch above the rice.) 5. Increase heat to medium/high and cover with lid. 6. As soon as the water starts to boil, reduce to low heat, and simmer covered for 15 minutes. 7. Discard onion and green pepper, and serve DELICIOUS rice.